Tuesday 11 March 2008

Toon Boom Studio Vs Flash Vs Director

Toom Boom, Flash and Director are all 2D animation packages and I will be looking at their distince properties and discussing which of the three programs that I prefer to use in my animations.

1. Toon Boom Studio.

I think that Toon Boom Studio is a very versatile program that is easy to learn and I think that it offers useful elements such as automated lip-synching and good camera control.
I think the main element of Toon Boom that I find useful is the exposure sheet, as it allows easy viewing of the drawings that have been done, and allows the animator to extend the exposure of the drawings, cutting out the need to keep on re-drawing the same background over and over.

2. Flash

I think that Flash is more difficult to learn than Toon Boom and I find the interface to be comfusing and difficult for users who are not familiar with this program.
Although the interface is a bit difficult to learn at first, Flash offers some very good animation elements, but is disadvantaged by the lack of easy-to-understand exposure sheet. The timelines that are used instead of an exposure sheet are difficult to quickly understand and I think that this is one of the main diadvantages of the program.

3. Director.

Although this is a multimedia program, it can be used for simple animations such as presentation work, but the program is limited by its multimedia interface. The interface is more suited to web design and programming than animation, and I think this is what lets the program down.

Overall, I prefer to use Toon Boom Studio as my animation program as it is easy to learn and use, and takes out a lot of the work involved in 2D animation.

No comments: